Liquid Gold Ginger Smoothie: Morning Sickness and Nausea Relief
Hands down, the number one complaint I hear from pregnant ladies is that they are soooo over their morning sickness.
Usually they can only eat fruit or bread and have become the best of friends with ginger ale (which oddly enough, usually has no ginger in it. Strange...) Not exactly the most balanced way to eat.
Smoothies are a Godsend in these situations. They're a smart way to go when nausea and vomiting rear their ugly heads because they:
- are easy to digest
- can be a complete meal if sources of fat, protein, and carbs are included, and
- can be tailored to taste preferences.
To add some anti-nausea power to a smoothie I highly recommend adding ginger and banana. Ginger is THE go to when it comes to managing nausea naturally. Banana lends a creamy and smooth texture, mellow sweetness, and has vitamin B6. Since B6 supplements are often prescribed to pregnant women with severe vomiting, making sure to get enough if you are struggling with morning sickness is a good idea.
One of my favorite smoothie combos is ginger, banana, and beets. These three make for an awesome base that works well mixed with many other vegetables and fruit. For the smoothie pictured above I used golden beets. They have a delightful golden color and subtle honey like sweetness. So good!
Liquid Gold Ginger Smoothie
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1 golden beet, peeled and chopped
- 1 inch of ginger, peeled
- 1 orange of any variety, peeled (I used satsumas, delicious and easy to peel)
- 1 medium carrot, washed and peeled
- 1 tbsp of flaxseeds
- 1 cup of liquid base of choice ( I recommend water, dairy, or non-dairy milk. The milk options are a great way to get in some calcium and protein if you can't tolerate much of anything else.)
- Add all ingredients into a blender
- Blend until smooth